Monday, March 15, 2010

Grandma's Chicken Enchiladas


This is a recipe from my Grandma Brimhall. I love this because is shows how my grandma lives to take care of her family - my Uncle Jeff has celiac disease - I typed it just as it was.

Enchilada Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp flour (I use cornstarch when I cook for Jeff)
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 14-oz can chicken broth (or used two bouillon cubes adn 2 cups hot water, leave out salt)
1 8-oz ccan tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Heat oil - stir in flour and chili powder, cook for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil for 10 minutes. You can double or triple this recipe, it freezes well.

3 c enchilada sauce
2 c shredded cooked chicken
1/2 c sliced green onions (I usually use regular onions)
3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 c shredded monterey jack cheese
1/4 c sour cream
1 4-oz can diced chilies
12 6-inch corn tortillas
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro

Mix chicken, onion, 1/2 c cheddar cheese, 1/2 c monterey jack, sour cream, chili, cilantro and stir in 1/2 c enchilada sauce. Season with salt and pepper.

Spray pan with Pam... put a small amount of enchilada sauce in bottom of pan.

Heat tortilla (I do this in the microwave... 1 tortilla for 15 seconds), fill with 2 tbsp filling, roll and place seam down. Pour remaining sauce over top. Top with remaining cheeses. Cover and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment